Credit Cards (Increasing the Limit and Charging for Exceeding the Limit)
Class action description
Cancellation and restitution of credit charges, cancellation and restitution of over the limit charges and punitive damages (INCREASING THE LIMIT AND CHARGING FOR EXCEEDING THE LIMIT).
Any consumer holder of a credit card from the Royal Bank of Canada, National Bank of Canada, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Citibank of Canada or MBNA Canada, who since January 12th, 2001, without expressly having asked for it, have been granted an increase of the amount of the credit extended to them, and who have since then used their increased variable credit ; and
Any consumer holder of a credit card from the Bank of Montreal, the Royal Bank of Canada, the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, MBNA of Canada, Amex Bank of Canada or Scotia Bank and who have paid, since January 12th, 2001, for over-the-limit fees.
If you think you are part of this group, we invite you to submit your information and comments in order for us to generate a directory of members.
We are inviting you to visit our website on a regular basis in order to be updated on the current case.
– December 7th 2006: Filing of the motion to institute the class action
– October 25th 2007: Judgment granting the motion to institute the class action
– July 31th 2007: Filing of the motion to institute proceedings
– February 1st 2008: Filing of the amended motion to institute proceedings with particulars
– February 12, 15, 16 and 17th 2010: Filing of the Defences
– April 9th 2010: Filing of an Amended Defence of Amex Bank of Canada